Each year Labor Day rolls around and we all mindlessly start packing away any hint of white in our closet. I’m not sure where this “No white after Labor Day” idea came from, nor do I care to find out the origin of a rule that attempts to govern what colors we wear. Truth is, there is no color that brings out beautiful features more than winter white. It is angelic and speaks of purity and class. From Celine to Proenza Schouler, designers sent models down the runway cloaked in shades of white in the F/W ’13 shows. So, this Labor Day it’s time to debunk the age-old “rule” and lighten up that wardrobe.
1. When it comes to wearing white pants, I always find Palazzo-style pants the most flattering. Nothing says this better than these Alice + Olivia Pleated Wide-Leg Pants.
|Alice + Oliva|
2. Incorporating a little bit of every Fall trend, Maison Martin Margiela delivers the chicest sneakers with these white high-tops.
|Maison Martin Margiela|
3. If Fashion is a form of art, this Kotur bag is the perfect illustration of Surrealism. The intricate, hand-finished detailing on this clutch is phenomenal.
4. We all know that everyone needs a staple LBD is their closet. For those nights when you need a little bit of puritan gusto, meet LBD’s cousin, The LWD.
5. Dress up the ordinary white shirt with this Catherine Malandrino embroidered mesh top.
6. The cocoon-style cape coats have catapulted into a realm of popularity typically likened to that of an “It” bag. If you’re going to invest in one this Fall, this MSGM coat is a surefire win.
7. SPLURGE: Straight off the runway, Proenza Schouler’s open back boucle dress is a winter white dream. While at first glance it appears to be suited for Spring, this super-structured dress is made of heavyweight boucle bonded to jersey. This dress looks like it’s suited for a Queen, or perhaps, the ever-fashionable Duchess of Cambridge.