In an arena where circus-like ensembles reign supreme aka New York Fashion Week, the Clover Canyon presentation was a breath of fresh air. While the SoCal brand is known for their abstract prints, the Spring/Summer collection put the power of the silhouette in the hands of the futuristically-structured clothing. Lightweight fabrics from organza to perforated neoprene captured the essence of the California girl where, in terms of clothing, less is always more.
What stood out most about the overall aesthetic was the juxtaposition of glowing makeup and 50s minimalists hairstyles on light luxe prints. Thanks to Redken 5th Avenue, I was able to go backstage with the leading stylists of their flagship salon, Cutler, and get tips and tricks on how this look was created.
Make Up: The overall look was that of the fresh-faced all American girl.
Get the Look:
1. Apply The Sensual Skin Enhancer all over to create a radiant base. Mix with a pea-sized amount of Soleil de la Mar to get that extra bit of glow we often need in the winter.
2. To illuminate the eyes, apply Kevyn Aucoin loose shimmer shadow from crease to lid. Then, use the Flesh Tone Lip Pencil (I like blossom or Cerise) to line top lid. Finally, apply essential mascara on bottom lashes only.
3. For rosy cheeks, I swear by (as in you never catch me without this stuff) Chanel Creme Blush. All you need is a few dabs on the apples of your cheeks.
4. To get that perfectly pink pout, apply matte lip color in timeless and top off with lipgloss in Reyna only on the middle of the lip.
Hair: 50s-inspired minimalist look crafted by Cutler Salon’s Linh Ngyuen
1. Secure front section of hair in a top knot and section off a thin strip of hair on either side of the temples to be french braided towards mid-crown.
- Tip: Spray hair with Redken Fashion Work 12 Versatile Working Spray to get an extra bit of texture and hold before french braiding.
2. Blow dry and straighten remaining sections. Then, tease and slick back front section of hair layer by layer.
- Tip: I like to use a bit of Redken Wax Blast to get that slicked back look while still maintaining volume.
3. Finish off with Redken Forceful 23 for maximum hold and to keep the look in place throughout the day.