Many of us have that one item that we consistently shop for and purchase on auto-pilot. You stock pile this item in massive quantities as if it is the one thing that will save you should the world ever come to an end. For me this item is the handbag. Ever since I was a toddler, I had some sort of bag attached to my shoulder full of 3 things I needed and about 967 things I did not. This Fall I am, yet again, on a quest to find “The Perfect Fall Bag.” Something that can fit everything from my planner to my camera and can be my best companion over the next few months of traveling and moving. After searching high and low, I’ve rounded up my top contenders!
New York Fashion Week was rounded out with another series of smash hit shows inspiring high hopes for Spring fashion. Blooming ball gowns (Zac Posen), Sportswear (DKNY), and an aspirational juxtaposition of structured voluminosity (Delpozo) dominated the runways.
Designers like Sachin + Babi, Clover Canyon, and The Row captivated crowds during the final days of shows. If New York Fashion Week has left you coveting these designer’s creations, check out a few notable pieces from their current collections here:
1. Sass & Bide – The Letter Dress
3. Opening Ceremony x Adidas Originals – Patchwork Sweater
With fashion week now in full swing, designers have given us a taste of what to expect for Spring. So far the forecast looks sunny and chocked full of deconstructed glam (BCBG), 90s hip-hop chic (Alexander Wang), and feminine elegance (Monique Lhuillier). Out of the first 3 days of shows, my favorites have been BCBG MAXAZRIA, Marissa Webb, Zimmerman, Suno, Prabal Gurung, Rebecca Taylor, Jill Stuart, and Alexander Wang…just to name a few.
We will have to wait a few months before these collections hit stores, however, we can still rock their Fall/Winter collections that caused the same mass hysteria during February’s fashion week. Here are some of my favorites pieces from their current collections:
1. BCBG MAXAZRIA – The Riley Dress
2. Prabal Gurung – Brocade Varsity Jacket (SALE)
3. Jill Stuart – Freja T-Strap Pumps
4. Alexander Wang – Blouson Dress
5. Zimmerman – Twist Strapless Dress
6. Suno – Knit Pencil Skirt
7. Rebecca Taylor – Becca Pants
8. Marissa Webb – Juliana Tweed Jacket (SALE)
Each year Labor Day rolls around and we all mindlessly start packing away any hint of white in our closet. I’m not sure where this “No white after Labor Day” idea came from, nor do I care to find out the origin of a rule that attempts to govern what colors we wear. Truth is, there is no color that brings out beautiful features more than winter white. It is angelic and speaks of purity and class. From Celine to Proenza Schouler, designers sent models down the runway cloaked in shades of white in the F/W ’13 shows. So, this Labor Day it’s time to debunk the age-old “rule” and lighten up that wardrobe.
1. When it comes to wearing white pants, I always find Palazzo-style pants the most flattering. Nothing says this better than these Alice + Olivia Pleated Wide-Leg Pants.
2. Incorporating a little bit of every Fall trend, Maison Martin Margiela delivers the chicest sneakers with these white high-tops.
3. If Fashion is a form of art, this Kotur bag is the perfect illustration of Surrealism. The intricate, hand-finished detailing on this clutch is phenomenal.
4. We all know that everyone needs a staple LBD is their closet. For those nights when you need a little bit of puritan gusto, meet LBD’s cousin, The LWD.
5. Dress up the ordinary white shirt with this Catherine Malandrino embroidered mesh top.
6. The cocoon-style cape coats have catapulted into a realm of popularity typically likened to that of an “It” bag. If you’re going to invest in one this Fall, this MSGM coat is a surefire win.
7. SPLURGE: Straight off the runway, Proenza Schouler’s open back boucle dress is a winter white dream. While at first glance it appears to be suited for Spring, this super-structured dress is made of heavyweight boucle bonded to jersey. This dress looks like it’s suited for a Queen, or perhaps, the ever-fashionable Duchess of Cambridge.
8. Jeffrey Campbell reigns as the ultimate genius footwear designer with these booties. The Helga Booties are perfect for tromping around in the snow or adding some edge to that LWD.
In keeping with the recent 90s revival, tartan has taken over the fashion world. From remakes of the classic Catholic schoolgirl skirt to unexpected color variations and print-mixed leggings, it’s starting to smell a whole lot like teen spirit. Here are a few of my favorite ways to rock the look:
1. This Fausto Puglisi skirt is equal parts drama and sass with a hint of schoolgirl charm.
2. The satchel bag is already a massive hit in the UK. Whether you’re getting ready for back-to-school or trekking to your next meeting, the Cambridge satchel is the essential bag of the Fall season.
4. There is nothing I love more than unconventional takes on classic looks. Stella McCartney does just that with this color-inverted cropped sweater.
6. Christian Louboutin’s Anita pumps need no introduction. They are everything we’ve every wanted and more when it comes to perfecting this punk-luxe look.
7. This Fall expect to see skinny pants fade into the darkness and the slouchy trouser come front and center. These Topshop tartan trousers are great for the office and the waistband and panelling design give them that little bit of edge to transition into Happy Hour.
8. The ultimate schoolgirl look, this ASOS A-line skirt is a key piece to cop this Fall. However you decide to rock this trend, remember it all started here.